Comments for SETTING SMART FINANCIAL GOALS
SETTING SMART FINANCIAL GOALS
Author: Shantanu Dutta | Date: 14 Mar 2017 | Comment: 0 Share: | | |
Travelling to any place would require a pre-requisite knowledge of the destination details. Likewise, when it comes to money, it is very important that one knows where exactly one wants to end up in terms of the amount of money they want to have and the reason they want to have it and to create a budget around it. To do this, one needs to set financial goals to achieve the objectives that one has set. There are basically three types of financial goals namely
- Short term goals
- Mid -term goals
- Long term goals
Short term goals are those that might require from a month or two to a complete year to reach while mid- term goals, require a minimum of one to five years to achieve completion. Long term goals require five years and above for the same. Once the listing of the goals is done, a specific deadline needs to be established for each corresponding task. Accordingly, these tasks can be later integrated into the corresponding monthly budget. For example:
- Short term goals – One can easily pay off a sum of 20000 using a credit card in say 3 to 6 months
- Mid-term goals – One can invest in the savings for a 5 Lakh vehicle in 2 to 3 years.
- Long term goals – Develop some savings plan for a 1 crore corpus for retirement
Since all of us are not financially savvy, one needs to be practically knowledgeable about critical matters that we need to be clear about and which will help us in realizing our goals. In this regard, it may be advisable to refer to major finance portals like the Economic Times, Live Mint, and Outlook Money, etc. for expert financial advice, tax breaks and various financial instruments available in the market.
ATTACH BUDGET TO YOUR GOALS
Setting up financial goals is the first step. This is normally done by everybody majority of people. However putting together a budget and then sticking to a specific budget criteria is a completely different ball game. Listed below are some tips which will come in handy while assigning a budget to your financing goals:
- Make sure that you separate your high interest finance accounts from the low ones. Instead of leaving a lot of money idle in Savings Accounts, deploy some in fixed or recurring deposits, if at all you want to keep a reasonable amount in the bank.
- Optimize your expenditures by cutting down wherever necessary. This does not imply that you become a miser and live a meager living to achieve these financial goals. It is just that if you minimize your avoidable expenses by buying what is actually needed rather than wanted, you could save that and invest it to fetch better returns.
- Financial goals are the key requirements for an overall financial health. One key difference that sets some of the ordinary looking people apart from the rich & successful is the money management mechanism that one follows and the discipline that one exercises over it.
While making money is important, being able to optimize its use by making your savings multiply will be the key element in ultimately determining whether you are able to achieve your financial goals or not.
Other articles by Shantanu Dutta
- Coping with workplace stress
- What Success means to me?
- Productivity Hacks
- 5 Steps to Build Confidence for Women Relaunching their Career - 2nd innings
- Preparing To Retire
- Why Do Goals Fail
- Being your true self
- Dear Zindagi – Let me know how to get there
- Being Happy and Successful - The Cinderella Way
- Understanding and achieving all round Wellness
- The constancy of change
- Empowering steps for personal transformation
- Make your life Awesome in 2 weeks!
- 15 tips to enjoy greater happiness in life
- This is why we do not succeed
- Chasing Goals
- The importance of 100% commitment
- Somethings that Matter
- And thats what the journey of Success is all About..
- The Surprising Facts about talking to Strangers.
- Everything seems to be perfect, but there is still something missing..
- What’s In It For The Leader..
- Life Coaching - A unique journey of Equals
- The Corporate Pressure Cooker
- The Learning Perspective
- What the C-suite really needs!
- Guilty or not Guilty!
- The Importance of PR in Life
- Create your 2016 an Epic year